Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Reason #4: Learn new languages out of necessity.


This is a photo of me, Sheila Witherington, when I was 9 years old and on a class trip to southern France. I had asked a friend of mine to take a photo of me, and one of the French boys, Phillip, on the trip stepped in front of the camera at the moment. Needless to say, a young girl has to learn to speak the native language at such exasperating moments. Growing up in the military provides many opportunities for children and families to learn new language skills as the families are stationed at various locations around the world. I believe the other boy in the photo is Eddie Scott, an American boy in my bilingual class at Touvent Elementary School in Chateauroux, France. As kids, we went on a class trip for four days and nights to southern France. In school, we studied with French students two days a week. One day the French kids would come to our school, and another day we would go to the French school. We each had French partners and were encouraged to exchange visits with their families outside school. What a wonderful experience. We lived in France for two years. What a wonderful way to raise a family.

My thoughts for today.
Sheila Witherington

No comments: