Saturday, December 03, 2005

Reason #3: Make lifelong friends around the world.

When military families live in different locations throughout the world, they interact with the people in the native cultures. One of our dearest friends when we lived in Chateauroux, France, was a French couple named Jean (John) and Marie Cassanova. Pictured at left is my mom, Sue Witherington (right) and Marie Cassanova (left). They became close friends while we were stationed in France. Jean worked worked with my dad Bill Witherington as a local civilian on the base. His wife Marie helped my mom with household chores at times when she need the extra money. I can remember going to their peasant home out in the countryside several miles from Chateauroux. They had no heat in their house, the floor was dirt, and they raised their own food. They invited us for dinner on one occasion, and it was tremendous event for them. They killed one of their chickens and roasted it. You could see where the feathers had been plucked even after it was cooked. It was the first time any of us had tasted wine. They had purchased a bottle for the dinner, and since it was such an economic strain on them to entertain us, my mom and dad gave us permission to sip our small glasses of wine. My little brother was only four years old, and he loved it. My dad and Jean Cassanova wrote each other until they died decades later.

My thoughts for today.
Sheila Witherington

No comments: