Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Reason #2: Experience the World...literally.

Not only are military children and families exposed to global sites and cultures, but they get to experience living with strange smells, customs, sounds, and movements. Pictured at right is St. Andre Cathedral in Chateauroux, France, where we lived for two years. This is not just a cathedral to me forty years later. I remember the engagement with it. My class was taken on an art field trip to this city center where we each found a chosen spot to draw charcoal drawings of what we saw. I also remember my French piano teacher who was the organist at this Catholic church. Behind this cathedral, the flea market flourished every Saturday. I still remember the smells, sights, sounds, and movements. It instilled in me an early appreciation for diversity and a sense of longing to see more of the world. That's a good thing. Military life does that to a child. That's a good thing.

My thoughts for today.

Sheila Witherington



No comments: